Woordfees 2018 is around the corner, and we in Stellenbosch get a chance to showcase our culture, our landscape and our hospitality.
If the month of March caught you unawares, and you haven’t had time to look at the Woordfees booklet, here’s in a nutshell all you need to know.
What is the theme and where does it come from?
The theme of Woordfees 2018 is “100%”, inspired by the University’s 100 year birthday celebration.
Where do I get a program?
The US Woordfees is cashless, how do I pay?
Most venues will be equipped with a card machine where you can pay with your credit / debit card. Also download Snapscan on your phone.
Where do I park?
There are two special Woordfees parking spaces:
- On the corner of Koch and Van Reede Street (near Rhenish).
- At Stellenbosch High School (Jannasch Street)
Is there a shuttle service?
Yes, shuttles will run from the two parking spaces to Ryneveld Street (the ‘feeskern’) and back, every day of the festival.
The first bus runs 08:00 and the last one at 23:45.
NB no cash is accepted. It costs R5 per ride / R20 per day / R100 for the festival (Pay with snapscan or credit / debit card) * The service is free for Standard Bank cardholders.
What is the WOW project?
WOW is the community development leg of Woordfees – it stands for “Words Open Worlds”.
- WOW gives children exposure to the arts and literature, especially learners who wouldn’t get such an opportunity otherwise.
- The WOW project includes: book and writer talks, workshops, workshops, writers talks and information sessions, the Sanlam WOW Games Festival, writer’s visits (from the prescribed texts), reading circles, reading parties, school newspapers, debating parties, arts and culture festivals, competitions – and a competition for young learners).
- Read more about WOW’s vision and mission here
Is there Wi-Fi at the Woordfees?
Yes, free Wi-Fi is available at Woordfees, proudly sponsored by WISH.
Until when does Woordfees run?
Woordfees runs from March 2 to March 11, 2018.
Will the festival help save water?
Yes! The festival has a well-thought-out Water Plan to minimize the impact on Stellenbosch’s municipal water system. To see what it entails, click here.
Which venues OUTSIDE Stellenbosch are used during Woordfees?
Dylan Lewis Studio & Sculpture Garden
Protea Hotel Technopark
The Private Hotel School
Which venues are in Stellenbosch?
ATKV Books oasis
The Plataan Cafe
Galery University of Stellenbosch (GUS)
HB Thom Theater
Cloetesville High School
Lückhoff High School
Ida’s Valley Library
Jan Marais Nature Reserve
JS Gericke Auditorium
kykNET Stellenbosch High School
Cloetesville Primary School
Eikestad Primary School
Idas Valley Primary School
Rietenbosch Primary School Hall
Primary School St. ldas
Arts and Social Sciences
Masithandanestraat 26, Kayamandi
Old Country Hall
Oude Werf Hotel
Paul Roos Center
PJ Olivier Art Center
Pulp Cinema Neelsie
Rhenish Girls’ High School
RW Wilcocks Building 1001
US Botanical Gardens
Visual Art Department
On behalf of Anna Basson Properties we want to wish you a festive two weeks – enjoy Woordfees and #livestellenbosch!